Notice: We are still open and here to help you with your case! Due to COVID-19, we will be conducting consultations either via video chat, phone, or email. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!
Click here to visit our COVID-19 resource center.

How to assert your parental rights as an unmarried parent.

To assert your parental rights if you were never married what you need to do is you need to file a petition for custody, parenting time and child support in the circuit court and then you would serve the opposing party, they would have 30 days to respond and then the court would turn on any hearings where you have your opportunity to talk to the judge about how much parenting time you should get or who should get custody of the children or child. If you have questions about how to get a parenting plan in place at the beginning make sure to call an experienced family law attorney. There are options for getting an enforceable parenting plan before you have to go all the way to the final hearing.